Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Chemo Day Number ??

I have lost track how many chemotherapy treatments Bryan has received. I wish I recorded them all; my grandmother was proud of her record breaking 150 treatments--or something like that. All I know is the cancer center had her do a photo shoot for their brochure since she had more treatments than any previous client. It was really a social outing for her. The doctor said she could stop, but she really enjoyed the attention, so she kept right on going! The amazing thing she was diagnosed with colon cancer in 2001 and died in 2008 from other health problems, not the cancer, at age 94.


Bryan received irinotecan (CPT-11) today although his bilirubin is hanging around 3.7. He said today is the best he has felt in about a week. His blood pressure has been very low this past week. We have increased the dosage of the medication which increases blood pressure and have added potassium to increase electrolyte levels. For those who don't attend our church, Bryan was not in the pulpit on Sunday, he didn't even go. The hiccups kept him awake all night Saturday, and then with the low blood pressure, he knew it would be best to rest rather than preach.

I guess he is saving up energy for our annual church camping trip. He was writing his messages for the upcoming event this evening. It helps to have small goals as we walk this journey. After the camping trip, we await Josiah's 14th birthday at the end of October, then Bryan's birthday in November. I know he would like to eating again by Thanksgiving. If the chemo can reduce the tumors to open the blockage then there is a very real possibility. Pray, pray, pray!

His daily goals are related to exercise. It has been wonderful to see his slow, but sure progress. We started walking 5 minutes a day last week. The first time out he made it halfway to McKinley and back. The next time all the way to McKinley and back. Yesterday, we walked to McKinley and back, then to "I" street and returned home for a total of 15 minutes! We didn't walk today due to a long day at chemo (9:00-5:30). Looking forward to a possible jaunt around the block in a day or two. Small goals, it's not a race, just movin' the ol' bod'.

I close with the Psalm Bryan shared for family devotions tonight:

Psalm 4
Evening Prayer of Trust in God
Answer me when I call O God of my righteousness!
You have relieved me in my distress;
Be gracious to me and hear my prayer.
O sons of men, how long will my honor become a reproach?
How long will you love what is worthless and aim at deception? Selah.
But know that the Lord has set apart the godly man for Himself;
The Lord hears when I call to Him.
Tremble, and do not sin;
Meditate in your heart upon your bed, and be still. Selah.
Offer the sacrifices of righteousness,
And trust in the Lord.
Many are saying, "Who will show us any good?"
Lift up the light of Your countenance upon us, O Lord!
You have put gladness in my heart,
More than when their grain and new wine abound.
In peace I will both lie down and sleep,
For you alone, O Lord, make me to dwell in safety.

2 comments:

Nanci Smith said...

I thought of you all today when I heard this hymn "He giveth more grace"

He giveth more grace when the burdens grow greater;
He sendeth more strength when the labors increase.
To added affliction He addeth His mercy;
To multiplied trials His multiplied peace.

When we have exhausted our store of endurance,
When our strength has failed ere the day is half done,
When we reach the end of our hoarded resources,
Our Father's full giving is only begun.

Chorus: His love has no limit; His grace has no measure;
His pow'r has no boundary known unto men.
For out of His infinite riches in Jesus,
He giveth, and giveth, and giveth again!





Here is a beautiful version with the Gaithers and friends singing it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT9unr2z7yY

Bryan and Susan said...

Thanks, Nanci! It is so true, He does give and give again!