Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Encyclopedias and Drug Manuals

When Bryan and I were dating (courtship wasn't in our vocabulary at that time), I'll never forget sitting across from him in a little coffee shop and he asked me what I did on Friday nights. By this time, I had graduated from college and was a full-time working woman so Friday nights were not that exciting and I spent most of them reading the encyclopedia (those of you who do this will totally understand, the rest of you will really think I'm wierd); how do you explain that to the man you want to marry? Honesty is always the best policy and much to my surprise he admitted to the same!

Our first year of marriage was spent in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada where Bryan interned in a church. We had a friend, Linda Walter, who thought it hilarious that we always had our noses in some sort of reference book. Even today, as the encyclopedias are brought to the dinner table to bring fuller understanding to some discussion, Bryan or I will say, "If only Linda could see us now!" Well, yesterday's chemo was a Linda moment.

We were asking the nurse to explain a lab result so she brought us her nurses handbook, showed us the answer and then walked away. I told Bryan I would love to read that book. Later, as we were discussing nausea medication, she brought in her drug manual. The more questions I asked, the more she searched until she said, "Would you like me to leave this with you?" I was delighted to read all about side effects, contraindications, various drug trials, ... fascinating! Too bad it was Tuesday afternoon and not Friday night!

2 comments:

Jacqueline said...

Such a growing relationship, in knowledge, and friendship.
What journeys you have seen, and what a journey you are now on. I cant begin to tell you how our hearts ache for all of you, but we do rejoice as well with the next road that will lead you further into the kingdom of heaven, before the throne of God.
God with us, Jeanette

Anonymous said...

I hear ya, Susan. I read the small print of the flyers that come with Colin’s medications… and I search on line for information. It’s fascinating stuff. However, then I imagine that Colin has every side effect. Did he rub his eye? Was that a cough I heard? Is he breathing fast… hot or cold… looks like he’s getting a welt… did he scratch? The staff at the clinic always check out my concerns. (Colin has had more exams than most, I’m afraid.) As my sister told me, “You’re making yourself crazy, Joy.” But it’s smart to be proactive. (I have a theory; the things I worry about never happen so worry is good, right? :)) I’m so glad God has given the knowledge gained through research and clinical trials. I am so thankful there are things we can DO…. Even as we are forced to wait and know that God is ultimately in control. “Lord, I believe. Help Thou my unbelief.”

About the nausea. It’s miserable for sure. I remember when we first started our journey the doctor was explaining that nausea would be a major side effect for Colin. Jenny, with tears in her eyes, said to me, “I wish I could just do it for him… Wait… I did do that for him… for nine months!” So there are smiles along the bumpy road. I sure wish I could suggest something to take the nausea away for Bryan. I’ll pray.

Joy Ng